Vega is a high-growth, natural health food and supplement company on Profit Magazine’s Profit 100 list of fastest growing companies the last five years with a passion for people. Our premium, award-winning brand is at the forefront of the plant-based, whole food revolution. Vega has been named one of the Best Workplaces in Canada for six consecutive years and was recently awarded the #1 Best Workplace in Canada 2017. Vega has also been recognized as the #1 Best Workplace for Women in Canada for the third year in a row. We honor a triple bottom line approach to business placing emphasis on people, planet and performance. Join a great team atmosphere with a driven, vivacious group of people.
An exciting and challenging position exists as a Applied R&D Specialist at Vega’s head office in Burnaby, BC. Reporting to the Applied R&D Manager, you will be responsible for contributing to the technical viability and competitiveness of Vega products throughout the product development process and the lifetime of the product. Day to day, you will develop, recommend, and conduct analytical testing programs of new raw materials and finished products to support functional claims. You will also participate in the investigation of customer complaints, out of specification results and conduct technical research to propose preventive/corrective action.
You take product development seriously while having fun at work with the Vega team! You value integrity, customer service; you take ownership and show initiative in everything you do and are performance driven. You not only love the culture, but contribute to it. Health and fitness is not something you read about, but something you live.
- Develop, recommend, and conduct analytical testing programs of new raw materials and finished products to support functional claims
- Establish stability program for all products to validate claims before the product are produced commercially and establish real-time stability programs for all product so that the QA team can execute the programs once the product has launched
- Function as a scientific liaison and technical consultant between R&D and various internal departments including; Marketing, Sales, QA, and Legal to develop research based technical information on new and existing products and ingredients as well as provide testing data for customer requests
- Lead interdisciplinary product improvement meetings to identify issues that affect marketing, sales, customer experience, QA, regulatory and R&D and coordinating the completing of actions items
- Participate in the investigation of out of specification results and customer complaints and conduct technical research to propose preventive/corrective action
- Lead process improvement initiatives within R&D and with interdisciplinary teams to streamline production and product launch processes as they relate to R&D functions.
Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum B.Sc. degree in biology, chemistry, biochemistry, and/or food science
- Sc. degree in biology, chemistry, biochemistry, and/or food science an asset
- 5-7 years of experience in a relevant role, preferably in the sport nutrition or the natural health product/dietary supplement industry.
- Hands on experience in the formulation and commercialization of sport nutrition products or natural health products/dietary supplements
- Strong knowledge of nutritional testing methods and phytochemical testing methods for claim verification.
- Familiar with the Canadian Food & Drug Acts and Regulation and FDA regulations for Food and Dietary Supplements (DSHEA)
- Ability to lead cross-functional teams
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel
- Ability to travel to the US on short notice
VEGA “Must Haves”
- You have an unrelenting desire to achieve
- You are successful and happy in all areas of your life
- The outdoors isn’t just the place between your car and house
- You have a sense of humour and passion for health and wellness
- You love to have fun, but take your responsibilities seriously
- You live the Vega brand
Benefits of Working for Vega
- Competitive compensation plan
- Open Book Management
- Performance Bonuses
- Alternative refreshment options that go beyond coffee
- On-site kitchen with an optional plant-based, vegan lunch program
- In-house gym and meditation room
- Monthly product to try so that you can perform at your best and promote the Vegatopian lifestyle
- Group MSP – 100% coverage
- Employee assistance program (EAP)
- Flexible Extended Health/Dental Plan
- Green transit incentives
- Fitness Subsidy
- Education Fund
- Group RRSP
How To Apply:
Let your journey begin…
If you smiled and are motivated by this posting, we want to hear from you. Send us your application at email@example.com with “Applied R&D Specialist” on the subject line. Let your journey begin!